Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I receive insignia for my ribbon?

A: Some of the pins you may buy because of your membership (ie. Ancestor Bar, Jack Jouett Chapter, State of Virginia); some you must earn the right to buy (ie. Volunteer Information Specialist, Genealogy Consultant); some are obtained by a donation to a specific project.

Q: How do I know what insignia are available?

A: The latest items and prices can be found online at Hamilton Insignia (See link above.)

Q: What if I have more than one patriot ancestor?

A: Those are called, ‘Supplementals’. You may have as many as you can prove. There is a charge for each one. After approval by National, you may buy and wear the ancestor bar for that patriot below your original patriot bar. Approval of Supplementals takes longer than original patriots. You may need to wait six months or more.

Q: My deceased relative was a member of DAR. How can I have a DAR marker placed on her gravesite?

A: Contact us with your request. We will send you a packet we have prepared for families of deceased members.

Q: I belonged to CAR (Children of the American Revolution. Am I automatically a member of DAR (or SAR)?

A: Here is the information from National:

Admission from C.A.R. to DAR is not automatic. A Certificate of Good Standing from the C.A.R. should be obtained through the C.A.R. Senior Society officers and is accepted in lieu of the DAR application fee. The completed DAR application paper, together with the Certificate of Good Standing and a check for one year’s DAR dues made payable to Treasurer General, NSDAR, must be submitted prior to the applicant’s 22nd birthday. Application papers should be prepared exactly as for any new DAR member, following DAR requirements for the forms, and complete with all required documentation. Documentation should be submitted to connect the C.A.R. member to a DAR national number. C.A.R. does not routinely require or retain documentation for the first three generations. When accepted by NSDAR, the C.A.R. member becomes a new member, not a transferred member. It is permissible for a young woman to hold dual membership in NSDAR and N.S.C.A.R. between the ages of 18 and 22.

Q: What is a ‘Junior Member?’

A Junior is a DAR member age 18 through 35 years of age. Although no longer a Junior after her 36th birthday, she may continue to page at state conference and Continental Congress until her 41st birthday. She holds full DAR membership, and when qualified, may serve as an officer or committee chair at the chapter, state, and national levels.

Our Newsletters

Our Newest Members

Upcoming Events – Our Calendar

File Cabinet – Documents and helpful links