On December 21, 1921, in response to an invitation from Mrs. Isabel Mason Evans Cochran (Mrs. Joel Minter Cochran), several ladies met at her home to take the preliminary steps to form a chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Dr. Kate Waller Barrett, Virginia State Regent, expressed her pleasure with the plan. She assured the ladies of her cooperation. She reminded them of existing regulations, which required that they use a post office other than Charlottesville. She suggested Rio. Mrs. Cochran was appointed organizing regent. The names of 18 members who had gone ‘at large’ to become members of the new chapter were sent to the Organizing Secretary General of the National Society.
The chapter was given the name Thomas Jefferson Chapter, NSDAR. The Chapter’s first official meeting was held on January 7, 1922, at which time bylaws were adopted. Because a chapter of the National Society Sons of the American Revolution bore the name “Thomas Jefferson,” it was necessary to select another name for the fledgling chapter. Mrs. J. Cooke Grayson (Jennie) suggested the name Jack Jouett in honor of the Revolutionary War Patriot, Captain Jack Jouett, Jr. Mrs. Grayson wrote the history of Jack Jouett’s ride, verifying his Revolutionary War service.
Our newly restored chapter charter is dated March 23, 1926. It contains the names of 36 charter members. This charter is considered a primary source document for these residents of the Charlottesville area.